As I sit to write this post while sitting at my favorite cafe, I can feel the rapid pulse of my heart beat as I place my left index finger on the side of my neck. Yes, I’ve always been a weirdo and I tend to do silly things in public too!
Where have I been?
I must start by apologizing for not writing in such a long time. As many of you know by now, I have just started an undergraduate journalism course at a University in Dubai. Since I’ve decided to put this degree as a priority, blogging had to wait until I had the time for it once I was done with my assignments, University hectic commute and daily house errands.
I’m glad that I took the time off (unintentionally) though, as the break allowed me to reflect on my blogging ways and revise my strategy a little bit…well, more like go back to what I was doing when I first started this blog a little over a year ago. But I’ll leave that for you readers to discover 🙂
The Killers at Sandance Gig
At the time of planning this post, I had just gone to The Killers concert at the ever-popular Nasimi Beach and so this topic was in my notes for this blog post. The ironic thing about this show was that my British friend Lianne had told me about it way back in Ramadan…and when I told her that I wasn’t sure of who ‘The Killers” were, she played a music clip from her phone with one of their famous songs. For some reason, I assumed that “The Killers” were a British band and that I would be having an authentic British experience with a group of cool Brits (my friend Lianne and her friends).
Then while standing at the show with my new cool group of British expat friends, I explain my excitement to one of the members of the group, only to find out that The Killers are actually an American band from Las Vegas, Nevada!
That didn’t change the thrilling factor of the experience. As I still managed to have a great night with my British friends. Plus, being a fan of indie/alternative rock music meant that I still sang along and enjoyed most of the songs that were played that night. The Killers’ music style reminded me a lot of the band Green Day; one of my favorite bands that I used to listen to as a teenager.
When I first started my course at University, I was trying my best to keep the blog and my usual active lifestyle going as much as I could. This however proved to be so draining as the semester went on and we started to have assignments to hand in. As much as I enjoyed attending all sorts of social and work related events and meetups, I now realize that I must keep it to a minimum if I wish to maintain my sanity and health!
It certainly isn’t an easy task trying to juggle all of the following at the same time:
- Attending University classes and working on assignments.
- Attending main social and work related events and other meetups.
- Going for blog reviews, topics and writing posts.
- Updating my Facebook Page (glad to discover scheduled posts!).
- Following the world news and current affairs (on TV and radio) to be able to get at least one answer right at the Media Law and Ethics weekly news quiz :s
- Attempting to read my current book on successful blogging.
- Grocery shopping and other essential errands.
- Housework chores (washing dishes, laundry, ironing clothes…)
- Catching up with friends and making sure that I don’t disappear from the real world 😉
In a desperate attempt to save what’s left of my pride and self-integrity…
- I will no longer push myself to attend social or work related events when I’m not in the mood for it or lack the required energy and stamina for socializing in a decent manner with other individuals!
- I will put working for my journalism course first and everything else will come after that.
- I will not bother much about giving my business card to new people and telling them about my Facebook page. Mainly because most will only store the card somewhere and will never put in the effort to type the name of my Facebook Page in the search box to check it out.
- I will pay more attention to spending time with friends and the people who matter.
- I will allocate more ‘me-time’ and try to relax with much-needed spa treatments and movie nights!
My Halloween Weekend
I plan to spend my long weekend doing low-key activities namely: lounging by the beach and reading, going to the cinema, having dinner with friends and getting a rejuvenating massage.
I will not dress up for Halloween or attend any parties…because I’m too tired to go shopping for a costume or dress up for the occasion! Yes, as you can tell I am seriously exhausted and could use a short break from an active social life.
Since this post is dragging for too long, I decided to leave some other topics for next time.
In the meantime, you could participate by telling me the following:
Do you sometimes feel like you have no control over your life? and that no matter how hard you try, things are just getting chaotic and messed up?
If so, what techniques and methods do you follow to get you back on track?
The Rebellious Saudi Diva Signing Off…